Saturday, November 17, 2012

Gnome 3

Since there are many negative comments out there about the new version of Gnome, the desktop environment for Linux and Unix, I would just like to voice my opposite opinion: I really like it and enjoy it, as regards both aesthetics and usability.





















I think that command-line fans should appreciate it. You can do most using the keyboard, more than in conventional windows environment. For example to launch the browser (Iceweasel), I just press Super+Ice+Enter. To open the file explorer (Nautilus), I just press Super+File+Enter. Once you get used to it it's very handy.

Search, for everything, files, programs, contacts, and so on, is very well integrated: just type Super+key words+Enter.

Besides, you can organize your windows in different workspaces. Not that this is really new, but Gnome 3 brings it to a new level.

And the graphics, well, that's simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment